I stopped drinking coffee (for various reasons), but I still eat coffee cake! This vegan hazelnut-chocolate-coffee cake is low in sugar – so it doesn’t taste too sweet – and can be made gluten-free. You can also leave out the hazelnuts in case of an allergy, and play around with the amount of sugar you add.
I eat this coffee cake for breakfast, and as a dessert after lunch. The nutty coffee flavor is so satisfying, and I love that the cake is not too sweet. Let me know if you try the recipe!
- 300g (gluten-free) flour
- 80g chopped hazelnuts
- 100g brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 200ml freshly brewed coffee
- 100ml coconut oil, melted (you can also use mild olive oil)
- 120ml plant milk
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Mix the hot coffee with the flax seed in a small bowl and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a big bowl, mix the flour, hazelnuts, sugar, salt and baking powder and mix well.
- Once the coffee & flax seed mix has congelated a bit, add the oil and plant milk.
- Mix the wet mixture into the flour mixture with a hand mixer until just combined, but don’t overmix.
- Pour the mix into a greased cake tin and bake at 190°C (374°F) for 50 minutes. Let it cool slowly in the oven, then remove it from the tin and cut. Enjoy!