Last year I traveled to Mexico and was surprised by the amount of vegan food (and especially vegan tacos) I found there. In Mexico City, there is a food court with different restaurants, and one of them served the most amazing vegan tacos and tamales.
Since coming back home to Amsterdam, I have been trying to recreate different vegan tacos and my favorite so far is this easy but delicious version. I just buy canned refried beans and jackfruit, and mix it with some other canned goods, add some pineapple and vegan cheese (which are both optional), and pour some hot sauce on top!
Ingredients (10 tacos)
- 10 small corn tortillas
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can or glass jackfruit
- 1 small can corn
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- a few pieces of pineapple
- 1 can refried beans (for instance from La Morena; I like the ones with added chipotle)
- vegan grated cheese (e.g. vegan Cheddar)
- 1 lime
- salt & pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- hot chili sauce to taste
- Chop the onion and garlic and saute in 1 Tbsp olive oil in a pot until transparent. For a simplified/lazy version, just leave out onion & garlic and start with step 2.
- Add the jackfruit and fry for a minute, before adding the canned tomatoes. Bring to a simmer while stirring. Add the corn and keep simmering for about 15 minutes.
- In a small pan, heat one tortilla from one side until warm, then turn around and sprinkle some vegan cheese on top. Fry for a few more seconds until the tortilla is warm.
If you want the cheese to melt, I would suggest the following method: sprinkle a bit of cheese directly into the pan and let it melt, then place a tortilla on top, turn around the pan while pressing the tortilla against it, slightly turning it, and then catch the tortilla with your hand, so that the cheese has stuck to it and you are holding the tortilla face up. Then place it with the clean side down back in the pan to heat it up.
- Place the tortilla on a plate and spread a spoon of refried bean paste in a line across the tortilla.
- Add the jackfruit mixture on top, garnish with a few small pieces of pineapple and hot sauce. Sprinkle with lime juice and enjoy!