In my opinion, nothing (apart from the smell of freshly brewed coffee) is more pleasant to wake up to than a house smelling of warm cinnamon and toasted nuts. This is exactly what you will get when you make a batch of this vegan granola.
Whether you prefer to eat it in a bowl of milk, on top of your smoothie bowl, or as a crunchy snack during the day – it’s handy to stock your cupboard with a jar of this homemade granola. You can alter the recipe and add or remove ingredients however you prefer. This granola is ready within 20 minutes, so you can even make it fresh if you’re missing a topping for your porridge.
You can enjoy it as a crunchy snack on its own, or top your oatmeal and smoothie bowls with it.
- 50g oats
- 30g pecans (or walnuts or hazelnuts)
- 30g sunflower (or pumpkin seeds)
- 12g flax seeds
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp (30g) melted coconut oil
- pinch of salt, cinnamon and vanilla
- for variations: add chopped dates, cranberries, choc chips (after baking), shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 180°C and cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Melt coconut oil in a water bath.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the oats, nuts and/or seeds, salt, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Pour in the melted oil and maple syrup and mix well, until every oat and nut is lightly coated. Pour the granola onto your baking sheet and use a large spoon or spatula to spread it in an even layer.
- Bake about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. The granola will further crisp up as it cools.
- Let the granola cool completely, then break into pieces with your hands and fill into an airtight container. Store at room temperature for 1 to 2 weeks, or in a sealed freezer bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.