If you grew up in Germany, there is a good chance you grew up with Nutella. In our house, we always stocked at least one glass of Nutella and it was a sweet & constant part of my childhood. I remember when I visited my grandmother after kindergarten, she would make me a bread roll with butter and Nutella while I was watching The Simpsons. 🙂
After going vegan and becoming more aware of what I put into my body, I realized that not only was Nutella not vegan, it also contained huge amounts of sugar and additives. I had to cut it out, but let’s be honest – it’s not an easy task.
And since I am not going to live without my favorite chocolate hazelnut spread, I had to replace it. There are vegan chocolate spreads you can get at the store, but homemade always feels better, so here is an easy recipe for my favorite breakfast spread.
The flavor is a mix of dark chocolate and hazelnuts with a hint of vanilla and the texture is soft, but thick, so you can spread it on bread, cookies or fruit.
- 8 Tbsp (110g) hazelnut butter (100% hazelnuts, nothing added)
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 5 Tbsp (ca 30g) cocoa powder
- 75ml plant milk (e.g. oat milk)
- 5 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a small bowl, melt the coconut oil in the oven (10 minutes at 50°C should be enough).
- Add the rest of the ingredients while stirring with a spoon. Mix well until everything is incorporated.
- Fill into a glass and keep in the fridge. Thanks to the coconut oil the spread will harden a bit, so it is thick and easy to spread.