If you are looking for an easy vegan meal to impress meat eaters with – this is it! This vegan ragu is so flavorful and spicy that is comes strikingly close to the original. And it is a quick go-to meal for when friends are coming over for dinner.
- preferred type of pasta (e.g. fusilli or penne)
- 175g vegan ground “meat”
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 can (400g) of cut tomatoes
- 70g tomato paste
- 200 ml dry red wine
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small chili pepper (or arrabiata spice)
- 0.5 tsp paprika spice
- salt & pepper
- 10g pine nuts
- 10g cashews
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- Chop the carrot into small cubes, and chop the onion, garlic & chili.
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil and saute onion & garlic for a few minutes. Add the tofu and carrot and saute a few more minutes.
- Add the tomato paste so that it becomes a sticky mass. After a minute, add a little bit of red wine, so that the sauce is still thick. Keep adding the rest of the wine in small amounts and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, paprika spice, chili (spice) and salt & pepper to taste. Let it simmer 10 – 15 minutes. In the meanwhile, cook the pasta and make the parmesan: add all ingredients for the parmesan to a food processor and pulse for a few seconds.