If you are currently (self-)quarantined at home, and don’t know what to do with yourself anymore…why not bake a cake? This vegan red wine cake is one of the easiest cakes I’ve ever made, and it turns out so good every time!
It’s spicy, moist and sweet, and serves as the perfect treat for a cozy afternoon at home. Put on the sweatpants, make a cup of tea and enjoy the cake.
- 225 g wheat flour
- 115 g brown sugar
- 85 g ground hazelnuts
- 25g dark cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp gingerbread spice
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 125 g coconut oil, melted in water bath
- 100 ml red wine
- 100 ml plant milk
- 4 Tbsp red wine
- 125 g powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, hazelnuts, cocoa, gingerbread spice, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Melt the coconut oil, then add milk, red wine and coconut oil to the dry ingredients and mix well until a smooth batter forms. Pour the mixture into a greased cake mold.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Then take the cake out of the oven and let it cool.
- For the icing, add the wine to the powdered sugar Tbsp by Tbsp and mix well. Spread onto the cold cake and add cherries on top.