I am at home for the holidays and am enjoying the slow mornings and late breakfasts here at my mom’s house. One of these grey and gloomy mornings, I got up and felt like having a warm and indulgent breakfast, so I gathered a few ingredients and whipped up this gooey warm and creamy porridge.
This cooked oatmeal contains a heap of protein, healthy fats, and of course the carbs to get you through an errand-filled day. Best served in bed and with a dash of maple syrup. 🙂
Ingredients (serves 1 small or 2 big portions):
- 3 Tbsp oatmeal
- 2 Tbsp oat bran
- 1 Tbsp flax seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 250 ml (vanilla) plant milk (I used oat)
- 2 tsp maca
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1 Tbsp nut butter (optional; I used almond)
- maple syrup
- Add the oatmeal, oat bran, flax seeds, cinnamon and 200ml milk to a small pot and heat on low – medium heat until it thickens. Stir frequently to keep it from sticking to the pot.
- Turn the heat to the lowest setting and add the maca, protein powder and coconut flour as well as the remaining milk. Stir well and let it thicken on low heat.
- If the mixture is too thick, add a dash of milk or water. Transfer the oatmeal to a bowl and drizzle in the nut butter. Garnish with maple syrup and enjoy!